Experience true Vietnam on a family activity holiday that takes you to the historic capital of Hanoi, cycling through beautiful countryside in the north, cruising and kayaking in Halong Bay and exploring the old port of Hoi An. You'll use various modes of local transport adding to your adventure; boats, bicycles and trains.
"The kids loved learning about Vietnamese war history and adored the cooking class - yum!"
The McCrae family
Active families will love exploring scenic waterways, rural villages and lush green countryside; welcome to Vietnam.
Explore Hanoi and learn about the country's compelling recent history, bringing a new element to your children's education. At Mai Chau, experience village life and stay in a communal longhouse (simple dormitory style accommodation) for a night. Visit the oldest national park in Vietnam, Cuc Phuong, before arriving in Ninh Binh. Explore by bike visiting temples and caves. Cruise through Halong Bay on a traditional junk before an overnight train to the old port of Hoi An.
- Stay in a longhouse homestay
- Learn about Vietnam's war history
- Cycle through local villages
- Explore caves and grottos
- Cruise Halong Bay: a James Bond film set
- Sleep on an overnight train
Here's a taster of your Vietnam family adventure holiday itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab and trip notes.
Day 1/2 - Overnight flight to Hanoi.
Day 3 - War history, bikes & puppets.
Day 4 - Hill tribes, cycle & longhouse stay.
Day 5 - Visit Cuc Phuong National Park.
Day 6 - Hoa Lu temples, caves & boating.
Day 7 - Halong Bay Junk cruise.
Day 8 - Overnight train to Hoi An.
Day 9 - Walking tour of Old Town.
Day 10 - Cooking class & cycle ride.
Day 11/12 - Overnight flight to return home.
Why not extend your stay?
Angkor Wat Extension Explore the temples, lakes and villages of Siem Reap. Complete your family holiday with a few days in Cambodia. See the sunset over the phenomenal Angkor Wat, explore the Ta Phrom temple from Tomb Raider, visit a nearby village or take a boat ride on Tonle Sap Lake.
Phu Quoc Extension Hills, forests and white sandy beaches. After exploring the wonders of Vietnam from north to south, this undiscovered gem is the perfect way to finish your family holiday. Relax in a boutique hotel set in tropical gardens perfectly located on an unspoilt paradise island.
Please contact us for prices.
- Days 1-2. Overnight flight to Hanoi
- Depart London for your overnight flight to Hanoi. After arriving meet at the group hotel where the afternoon is free for you to settle in - relax or explore the surrounding area.
- Day 3. Hanoi - war history, bikes & puppets
- Visit some of Hanoi's fascinating sites, including the Temple of Literature. Then enjoy a cycle rickshaw tour through the Old Quarter and witness the hustle and bustle of this charming town and its maze of streets. Visit the beautiful Ngoc Son Temple, set on a tiny island on Hoan Kiem Lake. Finally watch a water puppet show, a delightful performance of music, puppets and songs, before transferring back to your hotel.
- Day 4. Mai Chau, cycle & stay in a longhouse
- Transfer to the hill tribe village Pong Coong, where you will stay overnight in a longhouse, in an idyllic valley surrounded by lush paddy fields. After lunch at the homestay you will explore the village by cycling through the countryside, passing other hill tribe villages and spectacular caves.
- Day 5. Ninh Binh, Cuc Phuong NP
- Head to Cuc Phuong National Park, home to hundreds of reptiles, amphibians and mammals including the Clouded Leopard and Asian Black Bear, and visit an Endangered Primates Rescue Centre. Then continue to Ninh Binh town where you will spend two nights.
- Day 6. Hoa Lu temples, caves & rowing boat
- Drive to the Trang An Grottoes and visit the 3 caves. Take a rowing boat trip to enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Karst mountains and rivers. Visit the Bai Dinh pagoda and one of the Hoa Lu temples.
- Day 7. Halong Bay Junk cruise
- Transfer to the spectacular World Heritage Site of Halong Bay, where you will board your boat and head out into the bay. There is an opportunity to swim and kayak as well as to explore caves filled with stunning stalagmites and stalagtites before spending a peaceful night on board the sailing junk.
- Day 8. Overnight train to Danang
- Wake up early to watch a stunning sunrise over the tranquil bay. The junk then sails around the island, back to the port and returns to Hanoi where you will board an overnight train to Danang.
- Day 9. Hoi An, afternoon tour of Old town
- After arriving in Danang transfer to the charming town of Hoi An - recently declared a World Heritage Site, Hoi An is being beautifully restored and preserved. Enjoy an afternoon walking tour of the Old Town.
- Day 10. Cookery class, cycle to countryside.
- Visit Hoi An's colourful market, where you'll have the opportunity to purchase some of the ingredients to be used in your cooking lesson. Board the Red Bridge boat for a leisurely cruise along the Hoi An River to the Red Bridge Cooking School. Learn about some of Hoi An's and Vietnam's well-known dishes and enjoy making your own dish. After your meal, continue exploring Hoi An by cycling to the surrounding countryside, visiting local schools and paddy fields.
- Days 11-12. Overnight flight to UK
- Transfer to Danang Airport for your departure flight to the UK, via Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City.
- Extend your stay
- Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Vietnam & Cambodia?
- Angkor Wat | 5 day extension - This extension is an absolute must if you desire further exploration of South East Asia. Complete your family holiday with a few extra days in Cambodia exploring the fascinating Angkor Wat temple complex. Fly to Siem Reap where you will be guided around the best parts of the temples. There's also the chance to take a boat trip on Tonle Sap Lake.
- Phu Quoc 4 day extension - After exploring the wonders of Vietnam from north to south, this undiscovered gem of a tropical island is the perfect way to finish your holiday. Enjoy the boutique hotel, La Veranda, which offers an array of facilities and is perfectly located beside the beach. Swim in the pool, take a snorkelling trip or explore the local area. Phu Quoc is the perfect tranquillity to ensure you return home feeling rejuvenated.
- Is it right for your family?
- Weather varies greatly in Vietnam. Temperatures in the North can be quite cool during our winter months and it gets rather wet during summer but it can still be a pleasant time to travel if you are prepared. Hoi An will be warmer as it is further south. Ask your consultant for more information.
- Where will we stay?: 6 nights in hotels, 1 night homestay, 1 boat, 1 overnight train
- What meals are included?: 8 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 2 dinners
- How do we travel?: Train, minibus, bicycle, boat and on foot
- Flights: With Vietnam Airlines
- Trip code: FVVV
- Age guide: 9 - 18