Active Costa Rica
"White water rafting on the Sarapiqui River in Costa Rica spotting sloths, kingfishers and herons, nothing can beat it."
The Breakspeare family, July 2016
- Swing like Tarzan through the rainforest
- Ride a horse like a cowboy
- Learn about indigenous people
- Mountain bike in the backdrop of a volcano
- Go white-water rafting
- See a red poison frog
The ultimate trip for active families in Costa Rica.
An invigorating cocktail of nature and adrenaline that shows you the highlights of this amazing country and keeps the whole family active. Explore the rainforest, volcanoes and beaches of this natural paradise with action all the way. Canoe on the Caribbean coast, ride a horse, raft on the Sarapiqui River and see the Arenal volcano from your mountain bike.
Reaching Monteverde's Cloud Forest by boat, you'll find yourself right in the rainforest canopy and finally ride the network of zip-wire cables!
Here's a taster of your itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab and trip notes.
Day 1 - Fly to San Jose.
Day 2 - Travel to Tortuguero, where you ride a boat through the mangroves.
Day 3 - Travel by boat and road today to Arenal.
Day 4 - Mountain bike & night hike in the Arenal area.
Day 5 - Cross Lake Arenal to Monteverde.
Day 6 - Hanging bridges & canopy tour in Monteverde cloud forest.
Day 7 - Go rafting & spot wildlife.
Day 8 - Hike to waterfalls on the Rio Celeste.
Day 9/10 - Return to San Jose. Fly to UK.
Why not extend your stay?
Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Costa Rica? Set on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast, the Tamarindo Diria is set in a beautiful location which overlooks the ocean. The hotel offers stunning scenery and plenty of family friendly facilities, including a large swimming pool, nearby tennis courts, a tour desk and a variety of local restaurants, making it the perfect place to unwind after an active family holiday. Alternatively for a more luxurious option, consider Capitan Suizo. Please contact us for more details on all possible extensions.
- Day 1. Fly to San Jose
- Fly to San Jose and transfer to your hotel.
- Day 2. Tortuguero
- Depart for Limon province, travelling through the Braulio Carrillo Cloud Forest National Park. Experience the weather, temperature and landscape variations. In the lowlands, you will see many of the largest banana plantations in the country. Board a boat and continue to Tortuguero. Admire the great diversity of flora and fauna on the way. In the afternoon, visit the small village and also the tiny Sea Turtle Conservancy Centre. Visit Tortuguero hill, which is a 119 metre (390 foot) high extinct volcano located at the river mouth three miles from the village. You can expect to see frogs, monkeys, toucans among others.
- Day 3. Mangroves and volcanoes
- You have a sunrise boat tour through the canal of Tortuguero National Park and can observe impressive flora and fauna include more than 309 bird species, sloths, monkeys, crocodiles, turtles and more. After breakfast, you will travel by boat and then road to La Fortuna in the San Carlos Lowlands. Late afternoon, on clear days, you will have the opportunity to see the Arenal Volcano with its almost perfect conic shape. Enjoy the hot springs in this beautiful area.
- Day 4. Arenal and around
- Enjoy a bike trip to the area where forest, the Arenal Volcano and the lake meet. You will have the opportunity to spot many different birds including squirrel cuckoos, keel billed toucans, crested guans, slat-tailed trogons, black-headed trogons, bare throated tiger herons, laughing falcons; as well as howler monkeys and raccoons. Early evening, head out for a night walk. More than 120 species of birds have been registered in this reforested area as well as a large variety of frogs, reptiles and mammals like sloths and agoutis.
- Day 5. Across Lake Arenal to Monteverde
- Travel to Arenal Lake, the largest and most important fresh water lake in Costa Rica. You have a scenic boat ride across the lake and continue by land along an unpaved road to Monteverde. Visit a coffee plantation. Learn how coffee cherries are picked, the pulp of the coffee cherry traditionally removed, and see the drying patio and the warehouse where the coffee beans are stored in big fibre sacks allowing the beans to breathe and mature.
- Day 6. Monteverde hanging bridges and canopy tour
- The hanging bridge system is located along a 2.7km trail. There are 8 suspension bridges which add up a distance of 360m of total bridge length. The trail runs 90% through primary cloud forest. Visitors can easily observe a wide variety of plants, animals, and even insects that are only found in the upper part of the forest canopy. Later on, from the top of these trees and by mixing yourself with the incredible life of the forest your adventure will begin. Traverse through the tropical forest on a system of platforms and cables.
- Day 7. Corobici River Rafting
- From Monteverde, travel to the Pan American Highway and north towards the city of Canas. Here you will begin an adventure on the Tenorio and Corobici rivers. This is soft rafting along rivers surrounded by bird life. Drifting downstream you can expect to see boat-billed herons, bitterns, toucans, northern jacanas, laughing falcons, iguanas and howler monkeys. Continue to Bijagua, close to Tenorio Volcano National Park, which reaches a height of 1913 metres and consists of four volcanic peaks and two craters.
- Day 8. Rio Celeste, Tenorio National Park
- Visit the primary rainforest and cloud forest neighbouring the Tenorio Volcano National Park. Hike in the forest to reach the famous falls of the Celeste River. This stream falls approximately 20 metres (65 feet) into a basin of an incredible sky-blue colour.
- Day 9. Return to San Jose, fly to UK
- Extend your trip with a few days on the Pacific Coast beaches, or return to the UK today (departure transfer not included)
- Day 10. Arrive UK
- Arrive back in the UK after an overnight flight.
- Where will we stay?: 8 nights in hotels and lodges
- What meals are included?: 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 dinner
- How do we travel?: Minibus, bicycle, horse, raft, boat and on foot
- Flights: Various options
- Trip Code: FCPV
- Age guideline: 9 - 18