9 or 14 Days
"We loved the trip - it was like 5 holidays in one. An exceptionally well organised, action packed yet relaxing and eye-opening holiday."
The Padwick family, July 2016
Sri Lanka is an island of enormous variety. Discover the amazing history of early Buddhism, lush green jungle, cool highlands, ornate temples and wonderful food.
This family activity holiday in Sri Lanka allows for plenty of interaction with the local people, enabling you to learn about their culture, dance, clothes, customs, religion and food. The children will love watching Asian elephants on a jeep safari in Udawalawe National Park. Oh, and dont forget those palm-fringed, uncrowded beaches with their outrigger canoes and stilt fishermen. Its paradise - what more could you want?
- Learn a Sri Lankan dance
- Climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Elephant watching on safari
- Learn to cook a local dish
- Have fun on the beach
- Explore cave temples
Here's a taste of your itinerary in Sri Lanka. Please see the itinerary tab and trip notes for more details.
Day 1/2 - Fly to Colombo. Beach time.
Days 3-5 - Cultural triangle, village visit, cycle ride & cooking class.
Day 6 - Climb Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
Day 7 - Kandy, Temple of the Tooth.
Day 8 - Scenic train to tea plantation.
Day 9 - Udawalawe National Park jeep safaris.
Day 10 - To Koggala for beach time.
Day 12/13 - Free time at the beach.
Day 14 - Drive to Colombo. Return flight to the UK.
Why not extend your stay?
Mirissa Beach Extension Relax on golden palm-lined beaches. A beautiful, exotic crescent beach on Sri Lanka's south coast. Take a whale-watching trip (seasonal), go surfing, snorkelling or simply relax and play in the sand.
Yala National Park Extension Sri Lanka's oldest national park. Yala is fantastic for families who adore wildlife watching. Spot colourful peacocks, watch elephants roaming through thick forests and hope to see the elusive leopard.
Please contact us for prices.
- Day 1/2. Fly to Colombo, relax on the beach
- Fly to Colombo and meet at the group hotel after your flight. Enjoy free time to relax after the flight in the hotel or on the beach.
- Days 3-5. Golden triangle, village visit, cycle ride and cooking class
- Drive into Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle - an area defined by the former capitals of Kandy, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, where the island's major historical and cultural monuments are found. Visit Hiriwaduna, a typical Sri Lankan village, where you'll experience local culture. Explore the ancient walled city of Polonnaruwa and see many Buddhas and palaces. Cycle through the beautiful countryside and stop at a children's nursey and meet villagers.
- Day 6. Drive to Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Transfer to the World Heritage Site of Sigiriya and see the ruins of the Summer Palace on the summit. Then visit a spice garden in Matale and learn about the culinary and medicinal uses of the common spices before transferring to Kandy.
- Day 7. Explore Kandy, Temple of the Tooth
- Visit Kandy's Botanical Gardens, renowned for a collection of a variety of orchids. Have the afternoon at your leisure before an early evening city tour of Kandy and visit the Temple of the Tooth.
- Day 8. Train to visit Tea Plantation Factory
- Take a gentle train ride with incredible views, through the hills to Nanuoya. Visit the Haggala Botanical Garden, a tea plantation and learn the fascinating story of Sri Lanka's best-known export.
- Days 9/10. Drive to Udawalawe National Park, jeep safari
- Visit the characterful village of Ella and enjoy superb views as far as the south coast. See the spectacular Rawana Ella Waterfall and drive down from the hills to Udawalawe National Park. Enjoy game drives spotting elephant, leopard, water buffalo and fantastic birdlife.
- Day 11. Continue to Koggala on south coast
- Drive down to the coast for Koggala - your beach base on the Southern tip of the island. Stop along the way at Dickwella to see the blowhole here.
- Days 12/13. Optional visit to Galle by train or beach days
- Head out on a special whale watching excursion to spot whales and dolphins, relax on the beach and take an optional scenic train ride along the coast to Galle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Day 14. Drive to Colombo, fly to UK
- Transfer from the south coast to Colombo International Airport in time for your flight back to the UK.
- Half term itinerary
- Day 1. Overnight flight to Colombo. Day 2. Arrive and relax at beach. Days 3-5. Dambulla and Polonnaruwa. Day 6. Sigirya and Kandy. Day 7. Kandy. Day 8. Train to Nuwara Eliya. Day 9. Drive to Colombo for flight to UK.
- Extend your stay -
- Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Sri Lanka?
- Yala National Park
- Yala is Sri Lanka's oldest national park and renowned for being the best place in the country to watch wildlife. The children will love watching monkeys swing through the trees, peacocks parade their colourful feathers and elephants roaming around. Stay in a comfortable handpicked lodge with a swimming pool to cool off at the end of the day. Please contact us for more details.
- Mirissa Beach
- Mirissa is a beautiful crescent of beach on Sri Lanka's south coast. Here you can do as much or as little as you like. Relax on the palm fringed beach or for those craving more activity, take an optional whale watching trip (seasonal), surfing lesson or go snorkelling. However you decide to spend your time, Mirissa is the perfect way to round off your holiday seeing the sights of this wonderful country.
- Where will we stay?: 10 nights in hotels, 2 nights in a fixed camp
- What meals are included?: 12 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 5 dinners
- How do we travel?: Minibus, bicycle, bullock cart, train and on foot
- Flight details: With Sri Lankan Airlines
- Trip code: FSCD
- Age guide: 5 -18