Atlas Mule Train
This family adventure holiday is a discovery tour of Morocco, taking in Marrakech, the Atlas mountains and Essaouira.
- Discover atmospheric Marrakech and its labyrinthine bazaar
- Meet the friendly Berber tribe
- Ride mules in the dramatic Atlas Mountains
- Explore the beach and port at Essaouira
This trip is specifically designed for families with younger children. You'll see fire-eaters and colourful entertainers in old Marrakech and then explore the tranquil Berber villages of the Atlas. Here, easy walks with picnic lunches and mule support provide a great way to explore the mountains.
While you walk, your children ride mules, so you can stretch your legs and take in the clear mountain air and views. Finally, you'll have a few days at Essaouira to explore this historic port - take a stroll around the ramparts and see the old cannons facing out to sea, wander through alleyways packed with local crafts, or you can simply relax on the beach.
- Day 1. Fly to Marrakech
- Day 2. Marrakech
- Marrakech; ride a horse-drawn carriage, explore bazaar and main square
- Day 3. Atlas mountains
- Drive to Atlas mountains and ride/walk to Aremd village.
- Day 4. Tacheddirt Village
- Walk to Tacheddirt with mule support.
- Day 5. Easy walks from Tacheddirt
- Easy walks from Tacheddirt with mule support.
- Day 6. Aremd village
- Walk to Aremd with mule support.
- Day 7. Essaouira
- Walk then drive to Essaouira.
- Day 8. Essaouira
- Essaouira bazaar shopping or beach.
- Day 9. Marrakech
- In Essaouira; afternoon drive to Marrakech
- Day 10. Fly to London
- Is it right for your family?
- You'll stay in simple guesthouses in the Atlas; elsewhere in mid-range hotels. There are no babysitting or child-minding facilities, but the trip is designed with youngsters in mind. You can bring a papoose/back-pack if you like, although mules are provided for children, allowing parents to explore the mountains (and walk with like-minded parents).
- Accommodation: Hotels (5 nights), mountain guesthouses (4 nights)
- Meals: 9 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 4 evening meals included
- Flights: Flights from London, connections available from regional airports. Please contact us for details.
- Travel by: Minibus, on foot, mule, calesh (horse-drawn cart)
- Age Guideline: approx. 2 to 10
- Trip Code: FMAM