Adventure in the Andes
The fantastic contrasts of Peru makes it a mind-blowing family adventure holiday. From Andean peaks to coastal desert, the Inca wonders of Machu Picchu to the colourful present day inhabitants of Cusco, you are spoilt for choice. Take in the scenery from the saddle of your bicycle and the seat of your canoe.
Adventure in the Andes
"Our guide was very attentive and knowledgeable. He made sure everything ran smoothly, a once-in-a-lifetime trip."
The Faulkner family
Peru is a 'must' for any visit to South America and this family activity holiday is not to be missed. Famed for its Inca Kingdom, this country has so much more to offer; jungles, mountains, llamas, alpacas, colourful markets, deserts, lakes, sedate villages and likely cities. Begin by exploring the Sacred Valley which, located close to the Inca capital of Cusco, is the perfect place to acclimatise for the main event.
Walk in the footsteps of Paddington Bear as you hike a one day Inca trail to the marvellous Machu Picchu. Following this unrivalled sight, enjoy a scenic train ride through the Andes to Cusco.
- Hike an Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in a day
- Ride a train through the Andes
- Craft your own souvenir with a local potter
- Ride a bicycle through the Sacred Valley
- Paddleboard at Lake Piuray
- Make your own bar of Peruvian chocolate
Here's a taster of your itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab and trip notes.
Day 1 - Fly to Cusco via Lima.
Day 2 - To Sacred Valley. Optional pottery class.
Day 3 - Cycle to Pisac Market along river.
Day 4 - Paddle boarding
Day 5 - Hike to Machu Picchu.
Day 6 - Explore Machu Picchu. To Cusco
Day 7 - Climb the fortress of Sacsayhuaman. Afternoon chocolate making class.
Day 8 - Camelids & condors.
Day 9/10 - Overnight flight to UK
Why not extend your stay?
Make the most of your time together with an extra few days in Peru.
Amazon Jungle Extension Explore the world's largest rainforest. Head into the Amazon Basin where you'll explore between the towering trees. Learn about the forest and keep your eyes peeled for wildlife such as caiman and giant otters. You'll be staying in a jungle lodge with plenty of activities included.
Lake Titicaca Extension Take a trip on the worlds highest navigable lake. Travel across high altitude plains from Cusco to Lake Titicaca, meeting some of the distinctive, colourful communities. The floating reed islands are fascinating, as is Taquile Island where you can see textile production. We can arrange motorboat trips and kayaking.
Nasca & the Ballestas Islands Extension Fly over mysterious desert markings and spot sea lions. It takes a little extra travel to reach, but if you have the time, head to the southern coast. Here you can fly over the mysterious Nasca Lines in a light aircraft and visit the Ballestas Islands, home to sea lions, seals and much birdlife.
Please contact us for prices.
- Day 1. Fly to Cusco via Lima
- Depart UK, overnight flight to Cusco via Lima.
- Day 2. Transfer to Sacred Valley, pottery class
- Transfer to your hotel in the Sacred Valley. In the afternoon visit a local potter and have the opportunity to craft your own special souvenir.
- Day 3. Cycle to Pisac market
- Enjoy a cycle ride along the River Urubamba to arrive at the small town of Pisac. Spend the afternoon exploring the local markets and artisan stalls before a drive back to your hotel.
- Day 4. Paddleboarding on Lake Piuray
- Learn paddle boarding on the emerald waters of Lake Piuray, relax and take in the stunning Andean Scenery.
- Day 5. Hike an Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
- Hike along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. After some time taking it all in, descend to Aguas Calientes, the town below.
- Day 6. Explore Machu Picchu, train to Cusco
- Beat the tourists and explore Machu Picchu on a morning tour, then take the train back along the Urubamba Valley to Cusco.
- Day 7. Climb the fortress of Sacsayhuaman
- Climb the old Inca fortress of Sacsayhuaman and enjoy spectacular views over Cusco. In the afternoon, learn how chocolate is made and have the opportunity to make your own bar of Peruvian chocolate.
- Day 8. Camelids and condors
- Get up close to the friendly llamas and alpacas and visit the Cochahuasi animal sanctuary to see native Peruvian animals.
- Day 10/11. Overnight flight to UK
- Depart Cusco for overnight flight back to the UK.
- Extend your stay - Amazon Jungle | 3 days
- Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Peru? Any visit to Peru wouldn't be complete without visiting the vast Amazon Jungle. See the natural beauty of our planet spring to life as you ramble beneath towering trees and head up the Amazon river on a boat. Various jungle activities are included at the lodge such as a caiman spotting boat trip, walks in the jungle and a canoe ride spotting monkeys and tropical birds along the way. Please contact us for more details.
- Where will we stay?: 7 nights in hotels
- What meals are included?: 7 breakfasts and 5 lunches
- How do we travel?: Minibus, on foot, horse, train, mountain bike
- Flights: With Air Europa via Madrid
- Trip Code: FPLI
- Age guideline: 11 - 18