Hanoi to Saigon
"A trip as well designed for the 10 year old as the 47 year old. One we will remember for a lifetime."
The Lindsey family, August 2015
This family activity holiday in Vietnam offers the chance to explore this vibrant and friendly country and we're sure it will delight you and stimulate your senses. Explore Hanoi by cyclo, unwind as you cruise on a traditional junk through the network of islands and peaks in Halong Bay and watch fishermen go about their day. An overnight train journey on the famous Reunification Express takes you to the old imperial capital of Hue on the Perfume River. Visit the ancient trading town of Hoi An and enjoy white sand beaches. Cruise gently along the Mekong Delta with its floating markets and have a go at catching fish with the locals.
- Cruise on a traditional junk
- Sleep overnight on a train
- Paddle in a bamboo basket
- Cycle through rice paddies
- Try fishing Vietnamese-style
- Explore a floating village
Here's a taster of your Vietnam family adventure itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab and trip notes.
Day 1/2 - Overnight flight to Hanoi.
Day 3 - Cyclo ride & puppet show.
Day 4 - Halong Bay cruise on a junk.
Day 5 - To Hanoi. Overnight train to Hue.
Day 6 - Dragon boat on Perfume River.
Day 7 - Scenic drive to Hoi An.
Day 8 - Village visits by bicycle & boat.
Day 9 - Fly to Saigon. City tour.
Day 10 - Mekong Delta by boat.
Day 11/12 - Cu Chi Tunnels & return flight home.
Why not extend your stay?
Angkor Wat Extension Explore the temples, lakes and villages of Siem Reap. Complete your family holiday with a few days in Cambodia. See the sunset over the phenomenal Angkor Wat, explore the Ta Phrom temple from Tomb Raider, visit a nearby village or take a boat ride on Tonle Sap Lake.
Phu Quoc Extension Hills, forests and white sandy beaches. After exploring the wonders of Vietnam from north to south, this undiscovered gem is the perfect way to finish your family holiday. Relax in a boutique hotel set in tropical gardens perfectly located on an unspoilt paradise island.
Please contact us for prices.
- Day 1/2. Overnight flight to Hanoi
- Depart from London on an overnight flight to Hanoi. After arriving meet at the group hotel where the afternoon is free for you to settle in - relax or explore the surrounding area.
- Day 3. Hanoi - cyclo ride and puppet show
- Visit some of Hanoi's fascinating sites, including the Temple of Literature. Then enjoy a cycle rickshaw tour through the Old Quarter and witness the hustle and bustle of this charming town and its maze of streets. Visit the beautiful Ngoc Son Temple, set on a tiny island on Hoan Kiem Lake. Finally watch a water puppet show, a delightful performance of music, puppets and songs, before transferring back to your hotel.
- Day 4. Halong Bay cruise on a junk
- Drive to the spectacular World Heritage Site of Halong Bay, where you will board your boat and cruise among dramatic limestone peaks. Swim in the sea and explore caves filled with stunning stalagtites and stalagmites before spending a peaceful night on board the sailing junk.
- Day 5. Return to Hanoi, overnight train to Hue
- Wake up early to watch a stunning sunrise over the tranquil bay. The junk then sails around the island, back to the port and returns to Hanoi where you will board an overnight train to Hue.
- Day 6. Dragon boat cruise on Perfume River
- After arriving in Hue, probably the most beautiful city in Vietnam, and transferring to your hotel, visit the ancient walled Citadel containing the former Imperial Palace. In the afternoon enjoy a leisurely Dragon Boat cruise along the timeless Perfume River, stopping at one of the oldest and most significant pagodas in Hue and the tomb of Emperor Tu Duc.
- Day 7. Scenic drive to Hoi An
- Journey along the coast, past the beautiful beach of Lang Co and over the Hai Van Pass, to arrive at the charming river port of Hoi An, when there should be time for an introductory tour of this ancient town. Recently declared a World Heritage Site, Hoi An is being beautifully restored and preserved.
- Day 8. Village visits by bicycle and boat
- Cycle out into the countryside through rice paddies and arrive at the village of Tra Que, where you'll be introduced to the history of the village. Later, return to Hoi An and board a river cruise to meet the local fishermen and enjoy the experience of river net fishing with the locals, before paddling a unique bamboo basket boat as you explore the area's coconut palmed waterways.
- Day 9. Fly to Saigon, explore the city
- Transfer to Danang Airport and fly to Ho Chi Minh City. This busy city is an interesting blend of old and new, east and west. In the afternoon, visit the Notre Dame Cathedral, Reunification Palace and Old Post Office on a guided tour. Then visit the Ben Thanh market, a thriving food and clothes market.
- Day 10. Mekong Delta by boat
- Head south into the Mekong Delta, known as Vietnam's 'breadbasket', which produces more than enough rice to feed the entire country. After a scenic drive to Vinh Long, take a boat through the floating market to an ancient house, observing typical Mekong Delta rural life and beautiful landscapes along the way. Then return to your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Day 11/12. Cu Chi tunnels tour; overnight flight to UK
- Visit the remarkable Cu Chi tunnel complex, first used as guerrilla base during the independence war against France, and learn about its history. In the evening you'll transfer to the airport for your overnight flight back to the UK.
- Extend your stay
- Why not make the most of your stay with an extra few days in Vietnam & Cambodia?
- Angkor Wat | 5 days
- This extension is an absolute must if you desire further exploration of South East Asia. Complete your family holiday with a few extra days in Cambodia exploring the fascinating Angkor Wat temple complex. Fly to Siem Reap where you will be guided around the best parts of the temples. There's also the chance to take a boat trip on Tonle Sap Lake.
- Phu Quoc | 4 days
- After exploring the wonders of Vietnam from north to south, this undiscovered gem of a tropical island is the perfect way to finish your holiday. Enjoy the boutique hotel, La Veranda, which offers an array of facilities and is perfectly located beside the beach. Swim in the pool, take a snorkelling trip or explore the local area. Phu Quoc is the perfect tranquillity to ensure you return home feeling rejuvenated.
- Where will we stay?: 7 nights in hotels, 1 overnight train, 1 overnight boat
- What meals are included?: 9 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 2 dinners
- How do we travel?: Boat, junk, minibus, train, plane, cyclo & bike
- Flights: With Vietnam Airlines
- Trip code: FVHS
- Age guide: 5 - 18