Swahili Coast & Safari
This family safari holiday to Tanzania is one of our favourite and most popular trips. You and your family will experience the best of the southern circuit, travelling by 4WD and by train as you venture into rural Tanzania. You'll visit the largest game reserve in Africa and see amazing wildlife roaming freely.
Swahili Coast & Safari
"Amazing accommodation and locations in Sadaani and Selous. Very special experience at Bab's Camp; dinner under the stars on the salt flats."
The Hall family, August 2016
This family activity holiday in Tanzania takes you right off the beaten track to see the real Africa. Drive to Saadani National Park to explore the bush, nestled beside white sand beaches.
Travel on an African train venturing deep into the incredible Selous Game Reserve, which is the largest in Africa and full of wildlife. Learn about their elephant collaring project, enjoy a relaxing canoe ride, meet the locals at a Masai village and search for big game like lions, zebras and elephants as well as smaller wildlife, such as wild dogs.
A short flight takes you to the beautiful spice island of Zanzibar where you can explore the winding streets of Stone Town.
- Spot incredible animals in the wild
- Meet the Masai in their village
- Spend a night in a Bush Rover
- Follow a nature trail in Saadani
- Ride on an old African train
- Stay on the exotic spice island of Zanzibar
Here's a taster of your itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab and trip notes.
Day 1 /2 - Overnight flight to Dar es Salaam. Drive to Saadani NP.
Day 3 - Elephants, nature trail & canoe ride.
Day 4 - Wildlife boat trip on Wami River.
Day 5 - Travel to Dar es Salaam.
Day 6 - Tazara train to Selous.
Day 7 - Morning walking safari. Free time.
Day 8 - Wildlife viewing by boat & 4WD.
Day 9 - Fly to Zanzibar. Free time.
Day 10/11 - Overnight flight to return home.
Why not extend your stay?
Zanzibar Extension With exotic white sand beaches, Zanzibar is one of those places that you simply won?t want to leave. Unwind at your beach front hotel with unparalleled views of the Indian Ocean. Activities available include sea kayaking, snorkelling, forest treks and local cultural tours. Please contact us for prices.
- Day 1. Overnight flight to Dar es Salaam
- Depart from London on an overnight flight to Dar es Salaam.
- Day 2. Arrive Dar, drive to Saadani NP
- On arrival you will be driven to the serene Saadani National Park. Its unique location provides the opportunity for birdlife and game viewing at the same time as enjoying fabulous white-sand beaches. There is a variety of activities on offer, such as learning bush skills like how to track wildlife or make a fire with a park ranger. The afternoon is at your leisure.
- Day 3. Elephant collaring project and nature trail
- The morning is at your leisure or you can learn about the Saadani elephant collaring project and understand the lives and activities of these gentle giants. Then enjoy nature trails in the National Park looking at smaller wildlife - bugs and insects. You can also take a relaxing canoe ride through the mangroves.
- Day 4. Wildlife viewing, Wami River boat trip
- Take a boat safari on the Wami River, watching hippo, crocodiles and monkeys as well as fantastic birdlife. From your lodge you can climb up the viewing tower, go in a canoe up the nearby river or take a walking safari. During your stay you'll have the opportunity to stay in Bab's camp, a satellite camp complete with a tower crow's nest for wildlife viewing, located in the heart of animal activity in Saadani.
- Day 5. To Dar
- Enjoy an exciting game drive around the Elephant Island private concession. Leave Saadani for Dar es Salaam, where you'll have the opportunity to browse the local shops and markets.
- Day 6. Train to Selous, transfer to lodge
- Catch the TAZARA train for your trip to Selous and enjoy the passing rural landscape. After arriving you'll be driven to your lodge in Selous to stay in stone cabins with amazing views and a natural spring water pool. In the evening, climb up to the tree-house over the watering hole to look for elephant, buffalo and zebra as they come to drink.
- Day 7. Morning walking safari
- Go on an early morning walking safari in the Selous Game Reserve, home to one-third of all wild dogs in the world as well as elephant, lion, leopard and buffalo. After lunch there is an optional visit to the local Masai Village to experience rural Tanzanian life, relax by the pool or visit the Sable Mountain tree house for great game viewing.
- Day 8. Wildlife viewing, lake boat trip
- Set off on a full day game drive, including a boat trip on Lake Tagalala, looking out for hippo, crocodiles and the colourful birdlife - if you're lucky enough you may see elephants digging for water at one of the dry sand beds.
- Day 9. Fly to Zanzibar, free time to explore
- Take a short flight to Zanzibar and transfer to your hotel in Stone Town. The rest of the day is free for you to relax or explore your surroundings.
- Day 10. Morning free, overnight flight to UK
- The day is at your leisure until your late afternoon transfer to Zanzibar Airport for your international flight home.
- Day 11. Arrive UK
- Arrive back in the UK early in the morning.
- Extend your stay - Beaches of Zanzibar | 3 nights
- Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Tanzania? Zanzibar is one of those bucket list, tropical islands that you simply won't want to leave. Unwind at our hand-picked hotel set on a tranquil beach where you can enjoy unparalleled views of the Indian Ocean. Activities available include sea kayaking, snorkelling, forest treks or simply relax with a massage in the hotel's seafront spa.
- Where will we stay?: 3 nights in fixed camps, 3 nights in stone cottage, 2 nights in hotels
- What meals are included?: 8 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 6 dinners
- Travel By: On foot, light aircraft, boat, train, 4WD
- Flights: With Qatar
- Trip Code: FTHM
- Age guideline: 7 - 18