Active Sri Lanka
Combine travelling to Sri Lanka's top attractions with activities that all the family will enjoy. From a cycle ride to a cookery class, rafting to exploring caves, playing cricket with the locals to a relaxing train ride, this makes for an unforgettable family adventure holiday.
Active Sri Lanka
"If you feel your children spend too much time with their heads down looking at mobiles etc, then try Active Sri Lanka. There's so much going on, they won't even think to turn them on!"
The Calcutt family, August 2015
With so much varied and stunning scenery in a country smaller than Ireland, you will soon understand why Sri Lanka is one of our favourite destinations. If you want to explore the country's highlights on a family activity holiday like no other, then Active Sri Lanka is perfect.
Cycle a coastal road part of the way towards the famous cultural triangle, here you will explore caves, climb the Sigirya Rock Fortress, spot elephants and learn to cook your favourite Sri Lankan dish. Enjoy sacred Kandy and the beautiful tea country before rounding off with an exhilarating white-water rafting experience. It's an adventurous journey around the pearl of the Indian Ocean.
- Play cricket with the locals
- Climb the Sigirya Rock Fortress
- Cycle along the coast
- Go white-water rafting
- Ride a train through tea plantations
- Watch a dance show in Kandy
Here's a taste of your itinerary. For more details please see the itinerary tab or trip notes.
Day 1 - Fly overnight to Colombo.
Day 2 - Free time to relax on the beach.
D ay 3 - Cycling & Dambulla caves.
Day 4 - Sigiriya & elephant watching.
Day 5 - Cycle, trek & boat trip. To Kandy.
Day 6 - Botanical gardens & city tour.
Day 7 - Train to tea plantations.
Day 8 - Kithulgala white-water rafting.
Day 9 - Drive to Colombo. Return flight home.
Why not extend your stay?
Mirissa Beach Extension Relax on golden palm-lined beaches. A beautiful, exotic crescent beach on Sri Lanka's south coast. Take a whale-watching trip (seasonal), go surfing, snorkelling or simply relax and play in the sand.
Yala National Park Extension Sri Lanka's oldest national park. Yala is fantastic for families who adore wildlife watching. Spot colourful peacocks, watch elephants roaming through thick forests and hope to see the elusive leopard.
Please contact us for prices.
- Day 1. Overnight flight to Colombo
- Depart on an overnight flight from London to Colombo.
- Day 2. Relax on Negombo beach
- Arrive Colombo airport and transfer to hotel in Negombo. The rest of the day is free to relax or explore on the beach.
- Day 3. Cycle to Kurunegala, drive to Dambulla
- Cycle from Negombo towards the Cultural Triangle, past Dammalasuriya. Transfer to Kurunegala for lunch and visit the Dambulla caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Day 4. Climbing, cycling, elephant spotting
- Drive to Sigiriya, another World Heritage Site known as the "Fortress in the Sky" to climb the Lion Rock Fortress and enjoy panoramic views. Transfer to Minneriya and enjoy a cycle ride where you'll make stops to visit a children's nursery, meet local villagers and watch the local people prepare a delicious Sri Lankan lunch for you. Visit the Minneriya National Park for an evening safari adventure to enjoy spectacular sights of elephant herds.
- Day 5. Village trek, cooking class, dance show
- Take a gentle cycle ride along the beautiful countryside around the giant Minneriya Tank reservoir. Then trek through typical Sri Lankan villages, enjoy a catamaran ride, a bullock cart ride and a tasty Sri Lankan meal. Visit Kandy, stopping en route to see a spice garden, and watch an evening Kandyan dance show.
- Day 6. Botanical Gardens and city tour
- Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens, Peradeniya. The afternoon is free at leisure to relax or continue exploring Kandy. Go on an evening city tour of Kandy before a friendly game of cricket with the locals.
- Day 7. Train to Nuwara Eliya, visit tea plantation
- Enjoy a beautifully scenic train journey through the lush hills of the highland region devoted to the cultivation of tea. Visit Nuwara Eliya, known as the 'Little England' of Sri Lanka and go to a tea plantation to learn the story of Sri Lanka's best-known export.
- Day 8. Kithulgala white-water rafting
- Drive to Kithulgala and enjoy a white-water rafting adventure on the Kelani River, or alternatively a nature trail in the area with a trekker.
- Day 9. Drive to Colombo, fly to UK
- Drive to Colombo International Airport for your flight back to the UK
- Extend your stay
- Why not make the most of your time with an extra few days in Sri Lanka?
- Yala National Park
- Yala is Sri Lanka's oldest national park and renowned for being the best place in the country to watch wildlife. The children will love watching monkeys swing through the trees, peacocks parade their colourful feathers and elephants roaming around. Stay in a comfortable handpicked lodge with a swimming pool to cool off at the end of the day. Please contact us for more details.
- Mirissa Beach
- Mirissa is a beautiful crescent of beach on Sri Lanka's south coast. Here you can do as much or as little as you like. Relax on the palm fringed beach or for those craving more activity, take an optional whale watching trip (seasonal), surfing lesson or go snorkelling. However you decide to spend your time, Mirissa is the perfect way to round off your holiday seeing the sights of this wonderful country. Please contact us for more details.
- Is it right for your family?
- An exhilarating holiday for adventurous families who have a desire to travel in an active manner. This is a full and varied itinerary but the comfortable hotels will be a welcome place to rest at the end of each day. A reasonable fitness level is required.
- Where will we stay?: 7 nights in hotels
- What meals are included?: 7 breakfasts and 3 lunches
- How do we travel?: Minibus, bicycle, train, raft and on foot
- Flight details: With Sri Lankan Airlines
- Trip code: FSAL
- Age guide: 12 - 18