Abruzzo and Rome
This family adventure holiday is jam-packed with discovery, nature & activity! Explore deep limestone gorges and caves, discover the beauty of Majella National Park and spot an abundant of animals from deer, wild boar, wolves and otters.
- Enjoy the Abruzzo region and its abundant wildlife deer, wild boars, wolves and otters
- Explore deep limestone gorges and caves
- Be a gladiator for a day visit Rome's Coliseum
This is a great family adventure including a range of activities in the beautiful Abruzzo region of the Majella National Park.
Explore alpine meadows, beech forests, mountain streams and deep limestone gorges. Discover the wonders of La Grotta Mirabile and the hidden sanctuary of an ancient rock hermit.
There is an opportunity to explore the area on horseback or take a well-trodden trail through the woods, and paddle along the Tirino River in Canadian canoes. Then enjoy the vibrant city of Rome.
The Lewis family enjoyed this adventure in the summer of 2012. You can view a video compilation of all their photos and video clips of their adventure on our blog here...
- Day 1. Travel to Abruzzo
- Fly to Rome airport; transfer to Abruzzo.
- Day 2. Tirino River
- Canoe and walk along the Tirino River.
- Day 3. Explore La Grotta Mirabile
- Walk through Orfento Gorge and explore La Grotta Mirabile.
- Day 4. Free day
- Optional activities in Majella National Park.
- Day 5. Walk to San Bartolomeo
- Walk to the hidden sanctuary of San Bartolomeo; afternoon Italian cookery lesson.
- Day 6. Rome
- Transfer to Rome; guided tour of sights.
- Day 7. Visit the Coliseum
- Visit the Coliseum; free time to enjoy Rome.
- Day 8. Transfer to Rome airport
- End of tour. Transfer to Rome airport and fly home.
- Is it right for your family?
- This holiday offers a combination of active and cultural interests whatever time of year you travel, with accommodation in comfortable hotels and many meals included in Abruzzo. In Rome the hotel is centrally located, close to famous highlights and only a short bus ride to the Vatican and Coliseum.
- Accommodation: Hotels (7 nights)
- Meals: 7 breakfasts, 3 picnic lunches and 2 evening meals included
- Flights: Available on request.
- Travel By: Minibus, on foot, Canadian canoe
- Age Guideline: Approx. 7 to 16 Years
- Trip code: FIAR