1. Tigers have striped skin as well as striped fur
2. A group of tigers is called an ‘ambush’ or a ‘streak’
3. Tigers can jump more than 6 metres in length and more than 5 metres in height. That’s higher than a single decker bus!
4. The rare gene that creates white tigers is only present in around 1 in every 10,000 tigers.
5. Tigers hunt alone and usually at nighttime, pouncing on their prey and killing them with a bite to the neck. They eat buffalo, deer, wild pigs and other large mammals.
6. However, less than 10 per cent of hunts end successfully for the tiger.
7. Tigers are the largest member of the cat family.
8. Tigers can reach up to 3.3 metres in length and weigh as much as 300 kilograms.
9. Tigers can purr, just like your pet cat!
10. Males don’t have anything to do with their young. Females can give birth to litters of two to six cubs and raise them until they are around two years old.
11. Tigers are very good swimmers, unlike most of the cat family.
12. Many subspecies of tiger are either endangered or extinct due to hunting and destruction of habitats by humans.
13. More tigers are kept captive as pets around the world than are free living in the wild.
14. Some have measured their top speed at more than 40 mph, but they can only maintain a sprint for a short time. This is why they rely on stealth and camouflage.
15. Fossils of tiger remains have been found that are believed to be more than 2 million years old!
16. You can hear a tiger’s roar up to three kilometres away.
17. Every tiger is unique! Their stripes are just like our finger prints, no two are the same.
Inspired? Let us take you there…
Our Taj & Tigers holiday is the best chance to get you close to tigers in a responsible way.
Please phone us on 01962 302062 for more information.